Self Censoring Since 1977

Rocking the East Coast. Of Sussex.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Blogging on blogging.

A rare moment of online introspection here at Casa C-Bug… no wait, come back!

In a message board posting this morning, our favourite media mongrel *, Dizzy Tiger Stu raised the question of whether keeping personal stuff and that involving others off the board and blogs was a good thing, having been prompted by a friend to share more of his love life with t’interweb.

He demurred, and I agreed with him, but it got me to thinking about the whole shebang. I keep my blog fairly anonymous, having seen too many of my favourite bloggers over the years unwillingly outed to family and friends (not quite such a problem for me, as that’s primarily who this is read by, I think), or worse still, work.

However, the blogs that I’m talking about, and those among my favourites now, were preferred reads precisely because they gave/give so much of themselves that you find yourself caring what happens to (often) a complete stranger in another country. I would find my blog slightly dull, I think, and move onto somewhere where a bit more soul-bearing takes place.

Not quite sure what point I’m trying to make here, other than that I’d like to be more open than I am, but the combination of a spouse who hates the idea of blogging generally, coupled with a creeping horror of having someone read my tirade about them on the internet, or having my parents or boss read about my sex life, constrains me somewhat….
That said, I think the whole blogging experience (if you manage to avoid the outings/stalkings/random lunatics aspect) is probably much more rewarding if you’re more open.

In conclusion, then, meh.




*This, if you’re interested, dates back to a time when Stu was explaining the concept behind his not-for-profit, home-grown record label, and one of his work colleagues excitedly exclaimed: "Why Stu, that makes you a media mongol!" *blink, blink* "Hang on, that’s not right… a media mongrel, sorry!" Or summat along those lines, at any rate.

The man himself reads here fairly regularly, so will correct me if I’m wrong, I’m sure.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:01 pm, Blogger stu huggett said…

    You got that work-related footnote spot-on! It was the good man Lewis who said it.
    But yeah, blogging: I know for a fact that some of our friends' parents read my blog, so I do try only to make myself look stupid, and not anyone else.
    If someone chooses to read my blog, I think it's fair enough that they should be prepared to find out stuff about me that they might not have wanted to know. But it's not fair on any of our friends or their parents (some of whom we may be friendly with too) to read personal information on my blog that they wouldn't otherwise want known within their family. Even anonymously, I can't see any reason to postscript one of my blog entries (that are primarily about bands we know or gigs we go to) with something like "...and then one of my mates behind the bar sucked me off before we went back to hers."[*] That'd be unnecessarily crass, though arguably more interesting.

    [*]This has never happened.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home